Wednesday 29 August 2012

Day 18: Breakfast

Scrambled eggs and roast gammon joint.

I'm almost entirely sure I took a photo of this, but cannot now find it uploaded at all.  I made the eggs in my parents microwave, and I realised how much better eggs are from the pan.  If you habitually use the microwave, I urge you to start making things in the pan and see how much better they taste.  This is true of many things, the things that come to mind most are scrambled eggs, porridge, and baked beans!  If you pushed me though there are probably several other things I can think of too.  Yes, it's more of a pain in the arse to wash up, but this has the added bonus of making you decide if you do really want that food!  We actually took the decision to give our microwave away to charity for health reasons.  I'm not 100% sure it's bad for your health, but I have read things either way; not so much from peer-reviewed scientific journals, but anecdotally from health literature.  When you couple the nicer tasting food with the potential risk it just made sense to us and I'm not sure we'll look back.

What was interesting about my visit to my parents was the fact that they have taken an interest in this project and that it is modifying their behaviour, even if it is only slightly.  To paint a picture, my parents are not the healthiest.  Both are sedentary, both used to be heavy smokers (Dad has now given up for a year), both have persistent niggling and serious health issues, and both have a relatively poor diet, due to my Mum's disinterest in cooking and their mutual interest in processed junk food!  I may well keep you posted with any progress on the parents front, they've certainly sat up and taken notice at the results, so we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions and questions so please feel free to comment. Constructive criticism is welcomed, but if you're rude, offensive or a downright pain in the arse to myself or others, you can expect your comment to be a goner!

Also, please comment under your own name, not that of a business/organisation, and don't link to your own site in the comment text. It's not good manners, smacks a bit of spamming and will be gone before you know it.

Other than that, have fun, interact and hopefully between us we can create something worthwhile that will help to improve some lives along the way.....