Sunday 5 August 2012

Day 7: Out for Coffee



Americano with cream at Costa.


Was taken for a quick coffee in Costa by a client after her session today.  Steered clear of lattes and cappucinos, and asked for a coffee with cream.  Obviously not a popular request as she tried to top my coffee up with squirty cream!  It also always strikes me how big the servings have got now, I had a medium and it came in a soup bowl basically, whilst a large pretty much resembles a bucket!  Is this a symptom of Starbucks coming in and bringing with it American sizing?  It is just too much!  If I had have gone for a medium latte I would have consumed just over 202 kcals and just under 14.8 grams of sugar, as it was I had just over 104 kcals and only 2.3 grams of sugar.  Even more interesting though, and this is for everyone who tries to be virtuous with a skinny version of their favourite drink, is that if I had chosen a skinny latte I would have consumed 114 kcals and 16.4 grams of sugar.  When you think back to what I mentioned about the importance of insulin control to weight loss, then you can see why skinny drink variety not only doesn't help but actually worsens the scenario by increasing the glycaemic index and load of the drink.


Personally, I'm a big fan of visiting independent traders and finding a new experience, with the possibility of finding a real gem with amazing food and/or drink.  The excitement of the new experience is great, but admittedly it's tempered by the risk of finding an absolute dive with appalling food.  Living in a town like mine I also appreciate the fact that it is not just a carbon copy of every other town in the land, with chains dominating the high street.  Don't get me wrong, I don't actually have a bone to pick with many of the chains and I can also see the appeal, but if you value variety and the ability to develop a relationship with someone local who puts their life passion into their business venture, then you have to put your money where your mouth is and support them so they don't die out!  It is a risk, it doesn't offer the comforting consistency of a trusted national chain, but to my mind I think the rewards infinitely outweigh the risks.


That being said, I have to commend Costa on how good their nutritional website is, where I pulled the above data from.  It is very transparent, very easy to use and enables and encourages customers to take more control of their diet.  To my mind, that is a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions and questions so please feel free to comment. Constructive criticism is welcomed, but if you're rude, offensive or a downright pain in the arse to myself or others, you can expect your comment to be a goner!

Also, please comment under your own name, not that of a business/organisation, and don't link to your own site in the comment text. It's not good manners, smacks a bit of spamming and will be gone before you know it.

Other than that, have fun, interact and hopefully between us we can create something worthwhile that will help to improve some lives along the way.....